Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Used Cigarette Butts

So earlier today I was browsing the internet for interesting tidbits of info from online newspapers, cause that's obviously what I do in my spare time, and I came across a Damian Hirst auction at Sotheby's. Among the 223 items up for bid there is a golden calf that has been dumped in fermaldehide and decorated with 18-carat gold horns and hooves. It's going for more than 20 million dollars, what a waste. However, even more interesting is the collage of used cigarette butts, that's right they're used, selling for 27,000 dollars. That's the only non-election/economy/Palin/politics story that I happened to come across during my daily parousal of the day's news.

Also, did anyone else get blocked by the website when they logged on for the first time after creating their account. I got blocked because they though I was spam.

Anyways, that's that for today.

Shubert, Atika. "Artist Gambles with Auction." Video - Breaking News videos from CNN.com. 09 Sep 2008. CNN.com. 16 Sep 2008 .

3 comments:

Kyle W said...

Interesting read Chris. I was suprised by the high selling price of the art. Hirst is going to make a lot money with these peices. I'm not sure who would buy it though because I wouldn't want to own and would have no where to put a 18 carat gold cow in fermaldehide.

Monica G said...

That's amusing. For both comments-- you being spam and the modern art stuff. My motto is that if I can make it, it's not worth selling. For the blocking thing, I just come up with a 'MUH HA HA< WE'RE NOT LETTING YOU IN' page, but when I click on the blogger button it lets me do just that. Silly computers. Anyway, I have no idea what fermaldehide is, but it'd better be rather valuable. Or not-- I'd bet it'd be rather amusing/horrifying to see the super-elite buying useless purchases only to sell them on Antiques Road Show for approximately one dollar.

Spenser W said...

I really enjoyed reading your post today. I thought I could really tell the kind of personality you have just be reading this post. Quite a feat, I might add, as, after doing my posts all in a row today, I am rather desensitized to what most people are talking about. Fermaldhide? It better be the only one on the planet if it is selling for that much. It makes me wonder what is in the collage of ciggarette buds. For 27 thousand I bet the Mona Lisa is perfecly replicated in it. If not I could probably make that (if I smoked) and it should not be worth 27 thou. Also agreeing with Kyle; where would you put the cow. Maybe your front entrance and when your ridiculously wealthy friends would come over you could say; "Check out my gold cow. It doesn't do anything, BUT, its a fermaldhide" to whick you friends will reply, "what is a fermaldhide". You will then have to say, "Well my good chap, I'm sure I have mo idea but it's worth a fortune!" You will then join in wealthy laughter over your 20 million dollar gold cow that does nothing.